Monday, January 28, 2008

" Dad's been behind him for 65 marathons."

DEVOTION.

I saw this billboard while waiting for the train at the Atlanta airport last week. Maybe you have seen this "for a better life" billboard too. Well, after taking one step away from it, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Team Hoyt is a true story....great story of love and devotion.

My emotions began to swirl, my mind and heart raced....and within moments I was moved enough to call someone to express my thoughts - when they answered, I could barely speak.

When you look at the picture in its entirety and you consider the quote....where does it take you?

I thought of the physical aspects....emotional aspects....inspirational aspects....individual aspects of the father and the son....as a team....I could go on and on.

Specifically for me, this billboard took me down many paths of thought because most of my growing up was spent without a father-figure to speak of (my grandfather was the next best thing, although sporadic). To this day, I sometimes struggle with that empty place....but can look forward to making amends with my children in the future.

As for the picture, look at the proud look on the son's face and the inspired grimace on the father's. Consider the emotional and physical meaning in "behind him for 65 marathons." Putting someone else before yourself?

What do you think about the billboard? Any relationships similar? Opinion on the pic? What is devotion?

Hope all is well......

mickey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us"
~Ralph Waldo Emerson