Sunday, January 4, 2009

I will follow you, If you....

As many may know, I have an abundant interest in the topic of leadership - from a standpoint of wanting to provide it to others and from a viewpoint of looking for it in others. From time to time, I pull a book off my shelf at the house and pull insights from pages I have read. Below, I have reproduced a list of what "followers" put together in a book titled Leadership A to Z, by James O'Toole. This list was developed by managers and details what they require of leaders:

I Will Follow You, If You
* Treat me with respect
* Inspire me with your vision
* Teach me
* Are tolerant of my mistakes
* Talk with (and listen) to me
* Allow me to grow
* Don't give up, or change course arbitrarily
* Have the courage of your convictions
* Tell me the truth, and practice what you preach

Have you seen these traits in those you look to as Leaders? Are you still looking for these traits in those that proclaim to be Leaders?

Fortunately, I have followed some that espoused these everyday, but I have also answered to some that may not have kept these in their repertoire. Of course, I myself have tried to use as many of these as possible in my opportunities as a leader and I know well that I have fallen short at times.

For me, it is important to earn your stripes as a leader - to earn respect, not demand it because of position or title. Naturally, hierarchy serves its purpose for infrastructure, decision making and accountability, but it's an empty shell if people do not want to follow. The list above helps develop a sense of ownership and buy-in, and it can create a willingness in others to take chances they may not otherwise take - all for the gratification that comes with going places they have never been before. As a leader, that's one aspect I enjoy the most - having the chance to see someone accomplish a task they never thought attainable!

What do think about the list? Which do you admire the most in a Leader? Agree? Disagree?

Look forward to any comments....

No comments: